“Our systems run 10% faster in the cloud. In addition, the rail franchise acquisition team was happy their project was not impacted at all by the migration project that was running in tandem in the background. Both projects completed on time and budget.”
Olu Ogundiya, FirstGroup Project Manager
FirstGroup’s Rail division is one of the UK’s largest and most experienced rail operators, carrying 345M passengers almost nine billion miles last year. FirstGroup Rail made the decision to move their systems to AWS in advance of an upcoming data center contract termination. They needed a rapid flexible migration approach with as little disruption to the business as possible. Adding additional complexity, they were also preparing for a new rail franchise acquisition in parallel with the migration project.
Lemongrass was selected and executed an 11 week migration plan to achieve a rapid migration with the production system migration occurring in week 9.
The scope of the project included:
- Planning and migrating their three-tier system landscape for SAP ECC, SAP PI and Content server
- Infrastructure solutions to accommodate their non-SAP applications
- A new SAP Solution Manager system
Lemongrass delivered a migration approach that met the requirements of their compressed timeline while minimally impacting the business including the team preparing for the new franchise. The solution included:
- Migration of SAP ECC6 onto AWS
- Migration of SAP PI onto AWS with an upgrade of the associated Oracle database
- Migration of SAP Content Server onto AWS
- Design and delivery of network changes within AWS to connect the newly migrated systems to FirstGroup’s SAP business warehouse landscape that had been migrated to AWS some years previously
In addition to the migration, Lemongrass were also engaged to provide business as usual operations technical support (AWS + SAP Basis) following the migration. In parallel to the migration, Lemongrass executed a smooth transition into business as usual operations for the systems they migrated to AWS plus FirstGroup’s SAP BW landscape.