“This was a complex project and the Lemongrass team aligned with us very quickly. They had a sound design and project plan, excellent methodology with a highly skilled and experienced team. With the introduction of Covid-19 restrictions, just four weeks prior to Go-Live, Lemongrass had to pivot to support a new approach to cutover. I am pleased to report we didn’t miss a beat – we went live on time and under budget.”
Ian Windsor, CIO
In 2019, after a decade long relationship with a global systems integrator who provided hosting services for their core business systems of SAP®, Hyperion, IBM® Sterling, and WebSphere®, ConvaTec decided to go out to providers in the Cloud services market to assess their systems for cost savings opportunities, while still ensuring the highest levels of service, agility, and
alignment with their technology roadmap.
The assessment culminated in Lemongrass and AWS being chosen as their partner and Cloud platform of choice based on the following criteria:
- Delivery of maximum cost efficiencies for ConvaTec
- Confidence in the Lemongrass track record, methodology, and consultants to deliver a successful migration within the timescale required
- Lemongrass’s ability to provide continuous innovation through the Lemongrass Cloud Platform (LCP) and its Managed Services once the systems were up and running in the Cloud
- Knowledge and skill to support the ConvaTec roadmap, including the journey to S/4HANA®, simplification, and optimization of systems, and maximizing productivity and workloads beyond the
- Ability to support and adhere to a critical validation process. Med-Tech companies like ConvaTec, must adhere to a strict validation process for their systems. The Lemongrass project team worked closely with the ConvaTec business to ensure processes and obligations were met in accordance with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requirements.
- Change from AIX / DB2 to SUSE / DB2
- Optimization of the SAP Architecture for ECC6, GRC, Fiori®, SAP Console®, and Solution Manager®
- Right-sizing of the Hyperion and IBM Middleware solutions to be more cost-effective and increased response times
The project delivered in a short cut-over window between the time the ConvaTec North America business finished on a Friday and the Australian business started the following Monday which minimized disruption.
The team had the additional challenge of limited bandwidth from the existing Data Center to AWS. Lemongrass drew on its extensive migration expertise to meet this challenge. The team utilized Netfoundry’s technology to make use of all available bandwidth and Lemongrass’s Migration Accelerator toolset to drastically reducing the transfer time and successfully go-live on time.